About HKTDC | Contact HKTDC |
Within this section Within hktdc.com

FORUM - Intellectual Property Rights

software copyright

20 May 2008 15:59

Ex-colleagues have started a new similar business. What is the most economical way to find out and stop them using our s/w for their products?
Post 1 of 6

30 Jun 2008 15:09

We would like to recommend you to browse over a special piece on intellectual property rights in Hong Kong and China provided by the HKSAR Intellectual Property Department.
Post 2 of 6

23 Jul 2008 18:10

Is there any possibility that i can terminate my contract without notice or payment. as i refuse to work for a company that uses pirated software for commercial use? http://www.dutylawyer.org.hk/en/tellaw/law3.asp?id=27&ver=en&category=employment reviewed that part but it didn't state anything about termination due to company illegal activities.
Post 3 of 6

10 Sep 2008 15:48

Please contact the Labour Relations Division of the HKSAR Labour Department which provides consultation service to employers and employees on matters relating to conditions of employment and their rights and obligations under the Employment Ordinance, or click here for the Department’s Labour Legislation FAQ.
Post 4 of 6

03 Aug 2009 11:01

Hi All, There is a software that I've developed single-handedly while working for a company, that nas never been released (nor is there any plan for it). However, it has enjoyed explosure and won an industrial award. Now that I've left that company, I'd like to redevelop another software with almost identical functionality and more, with similar look and feel, and use it for commercial purposes. I understand that it is illegal to use any portion of the existing code. Therefore my plan is to redevelop it from scratch, and record all changes with a source control system. I forsee significant changes in the engine portion (possibly written in another language), improvements all around and new features. However, I fear that even so, since it is written by myself, much of it would still end up being the same or very similar just because it's the best way I know of. That extends to the look and feel as well. Can anyone advise if it's ok to stick with my plan, from the legal perspective?
Post 5 of 6

10 Aug 2009 12:18

You should speak to a lawyer. It is not just a matter of trademark. The lawyer will probably need to review your employment agreement signed with your ex-employer. Should you require more information, please do not hesitate to drop A-Swiss Corporate Services a email at info@a-swiss.com.
Post 6 of 6
* Shows local time in Hong Kong (GMT+8 hours)
Page of 1
Most Viewed Topics

by - 29 Apr 2015 10:51

by Raul Hidalgo - 29 Jun 2016 22:23

by - 29 Aug 2016 19:38

Highly Rated Topics

by - 29 Apr 2015 10:51

by - 29 Apr 2015 14:54

by Raul Hidalgo - 29 Jun 2016 22:23