About HKTDC | Contact HKTDC |
Within this section Within hktdc.com

FORUM - Doing Business in China

be a freelancer in china

07 Dec 2016 23:34

Can you clarify for me? My husband is working for a company in Beijing. This company holds his work visa and they pay taxes for him every month from his salary. 

However, he is also doing freelance work for a company in Shanghai. This company in Shanghai has told him he needs to provide them with a "tax fapiao".  But since he has never done freelance work in China before, he does not know what this is, he doesn't not know where or how to get it, and does not even know what questions to ask to get the information needed.  Can anybody please help? 

Thanks in advance for anything you can do. 

by Moderator - 11 Nov 2007 18:13
replying [jarek}: Ordinary invoice conveniently used here is only to differentiate it from the special VAT invoice purchased by General taxpayers. The ‘ordinary invoice’ is just an invoice issued by enterprise or individual engaged in the provision of taxable service. Freelance consulting in the training service provided by an individual is liable to 3% business tax and individual income tax charged at 5% to 45% at progressive levels.
Post 1 of 14

07 Oct 2010 10:28

Provide computer services including onsite computer repair, remove virus, install/reinstall/upgrade/update computer system, install software/hardware/driver, printer/file/internet sharing, data backup, SME computer maintenance plan, wired & wireless network setup, NAS/LINUX/WINDOWS/FTP server setup, one pc concurrent multi users system, security baseline assessment, website design & setup, eshop setup, internet promotion etc.

Post 2 of 14

22 Jan 2010 09:27

Dear friends... this's Lylian here. i'm working in shenzhen as freelance interpreter/translator/purchasing agent/buying agent. If you are the one who needs me, i am the one working for you. TKS! Lylian E-mail:lylxunmengtu@gmail.com
Post 3 of 14

01 Aug 2009 15:13

We are Hong Kong company located in Guangzhou helping freelancer to solve their problem on invoicing and payment receive. Please contact Fanny at fanny@miltonint.com
Post 4 of 14

26 Jun 2009 09:05

there are information of HK Freelancer for your reference hope it helps http://website-freelance.com
Post 5 of 14

23 Jun 2009 10:22

To Joost>>> You could set up a Consulting company in Shanghai. The current required registered capital in Shanghai could be as low as RMB 100K which you could use this investment to pay bills, rent office, pay salaries etc. For more information about how to set up a Wholly Foreign owned business in China, you could check the website http://www.wfoe.org
Post 6 of 14

17 Jan 2009 11:23

I work for a company that can help you with this. Send me an email at: duncan.macintosh@accessfinancial.ch
Post 7 of 14

02 Jan 2009 16:56

We believe that you can set up a service company in China providing the IT consulting service in the mainland. Please click here for a special Guide to Doing Business in China featuring application and procedural requirements about setting up a company.
Post 8 of 14

18 Nov 2008 12:25

I am a foreigner living in Shanghai with my wife (also foreign) who works here. I want to work as a freelancer doing IT-consultancy for companies here in China (pay per agreed hour basis). What kind of company do i need to set up or is there a sort of special freelance construction? It seems the 'freelance' construction (what we call in our country 'one-man-organization') is new here?
Post 9 of 14

11 Nov 2007 18:13

replying [jarek}: Ordinary invoice conveniently used here is only to differentiate it from the special VAT invoice purchased by General taxpayers. The ‘ordinary invoice’ is just an invoice issued by enterprise or individual engaged in the provision of taxable service. Freelance consulting in the training service provided by an individual is liable to 3% business tax and individual income tax charged at 5% to 45% at progressive levels.
Post 10 of 14

07 Nov 2007 17:04

I understand the small-scale VAT payer applies here, but could you please explain further how an "ordinary invoice" can be issued? is and "ordinary invoice" something that is purchased at the local taxation office and then distributed to clients? What kind of VAT would the freelancer need to pay for freelance work, such as teaching in China (Guangzhou)? I assume that is a non-refundable VAT... Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Post 11 of 14

24 Apr 2006 08:25

We believe you would not have any problem in issuing an ordinary invoice (not special VAT fapiao for general taxpayers) to your clients in the mainland for the service you render.

If you wish to pursue further matters on the VAT and special invoice, please click here. There is no problem for your clients to remit funds outside of China in a legitimate manner.

Post 12 of 14

10 Apr 2006 10:52

The only legal way to do it is to set up a consulting company for yourself. This requires you to invest some money, etc.

A Hong Kong company cannot issue mainland invoices (fa piao). So that will not help you solve the problem.

The simple but slightly risky solution is to ask someone to do this for you, i.e. issue a fa piao in the name of their company, collect the money, then hand the money over to you after deducting taxes incurred and any service charge for offering this help.

What kind of graphic designing do you do? I might be able to use your services. Pls email me at thomasw98 "at" gmail.com

Post 13 of 14

08 Apr 2006 11:57

Hi, I'm a freelance graphic designer in mainland China. I'm a foreigner living here for 4 years. I've been working for different company and now i decide to be a freelancer. Everything is perfect, clients, different fields, creative. the only problem is to issue a fapiao for my client. What option i have to be able so issue fapiao as a freelancer? might a Hong Kong offshore a good solution? problem some of my client don't like or can't pay outside china. What to do. cheers
Post 14 of 14
* Shows local time in Hong Kong (GMT+8 hours)
Page of 1
GO
Most Viewed Topics

by - 29 Apr 2015 10:51

by Raul Hidalgo - 29 Jun 2016 22:23

by - 29 Aug 2016 19:38

Highly Rated Topics

by - 29 Apr 2015 10:51

by Raul Hidalgo - 29 Jun 2016 22:23

by - 07 Dec 2016 23:24